-----Original Message-----
From: Leigh Palmer <palmer@sfu.ca>

(not posted)

Dear Rick,

How 'bout the vector potential or even
its spacetime four-vector counterpart?
"Potential" is used more broadly than
you suggest here.

Leigh

While we're nit-picking, the terminology 'attractive potential' is of
course
confusing if we follow the common definitions for potential (PE per unit
something or other) since Energy is a scalar quantity. I suppose the
terminology arises since we use potentials to get to the fields which are
vectors.

After two years of reading Phys-L and PhysLRNR, I no longer wonder why
students are so confused.

Rick