Re: Sans Work, part 1 (Long and wordy)

One further note on Bob Sciamanda's discussion of the "MET" ...

Bob wrote:

... For example, when an
ice skater pushes off from a wall and thereby gains speed, the MET
states that the line integral of the force of the wall on the skater is
numerically equal to the skater's kinetic energy increase. However, the
wall has not given up any energy to the person; the wall has not lost
any energy; the source of the skater's kinetic energy increase is body
metabolism acting through body muscle forces. The wall provides a
"leverage fulcrum" against which these forces can operate; in so doing
the wall force takes measure (through its line integral) of the kinetic
energy change. In sum, the MET uses the line integral of the wall force
as a measurement of the skater's kinetic energy change. It says nothing
about the source of this energy. It is the FLT which performs this
function.

I'd go a step further and argue that no "work-energy" type theorem
--including the FLT (whatever it is!)--should be interpreted as saying
anything whatsoever about "sources" of energy. All such statements are
merely accounting devices that correctly and usefully "relate" the change
in some energy-like (or state-determined) quantity to a work-like (or
process-determined) quantity; they do no "assigning of sources".

In the case of the skater I can show you one equation that will make it
look like the wall *gives* the skater his or her kinetic energy, another
that will make it look like the wall did nothing whatsoever, and yet a
third that will make it look like the wall *gets* the metabolic energy of
the skater. All three equations are rigorously "true" within Newtonian
mechanics and I suspect I could get some very good physicists to vote for
any one of them as *being* the FLT!

John
A. John Mallinckrodt http://www.intranet.csupomona.edu/~ajm
Professor of Physics mailto:ajmallinckro@csupomona.edu
Physics Department voice:909-869-4054
Cal Poly Pomona fax:909-869-5090
Pomona, CA 91768-4031 office:Building 8, Room 223