Re: buoyant bullets.

On Mon, 3 Nov 1997, Richard W. Tarara wrote:

I modeled the bullet as a lead ball of 1 cm diameter then wrote a
spreadsheet where I could adjust things like the power of 'v' in the air
resistance term -bv^n. For 'b' I used .5*(density of air)*C*A where C is a
geometric factor (.5 for spheres) and A the cross sectional area.

Rick,

This value of b will be pretty reasonable for n = 2 (for which it
is dimensionally correct as well), but it is simply wrong (if for
no other reason than that it is dimensionally *incorrect*) for any
other value of n.

Running this with an initial x velocity of 500 m/s and a height of 1.5 m,
calculating the time to hit the ground and the horizontal range, I get:

Without air resistance t = .553 s, x = 276.6 m

With n = 2 t = .65 s x = 206 m

With n = 1 t = .586 s x = 294 m

The result for n = 1 doesn't make sense to me. With drag, one
*could* imagine having enough extra time in the air that the
bullet would actually travel farther, but ... I suspect this is
at least partially an artifact of using an inappropriate model
(i.e., n=1) as well as an improper value for b.

This model does not include any real aerodynamic effects, but is interesting
that the velocity dependence is critical. Any air resistance increases the
time in the air, but the effect on the range is substantially different
between n = 1 and n = 2. In an experiment we do here, we show that the
effect is n = 2 on a 6 cm, 3 gram foam ball. I have real doubts, however,
that the modeled bullet would show a v^2 dependence, but the experiment is
beyond our equipment capabilities (since we used stop watches and 1-15 meter
drops).

I won't argue strongly for a strict n=2 dependence for the bullet,
but I'd be *very* surprised to see an n=1 dependence since that
usually implies that viscosity is the primary effect--clearly not
the case for a fired bullet.

OF COURSE, because of the lack of aerodynamic modeling, the dropped bullet
would take the same time to hit the ground as the fired bullet in both these
cases since the vertical motion is modeled as independent of the horizontal.

I don't follow this. If you have modeled a projectile subject to
nonlinear drag as having independent vertical and horizontal
motions, you have simply made a mistake in writing out the force
terms.

John
A. John Mallinckrodt http://www.intranet.csupomona.edu/~ajm
Professor of Physics mailto:ajmallinckro@csupomona.edu
Physics Department voice:909-869-4054
Cal Poly Pomona fax:909-869-5090
Pomona, CA 91768-4031 office:Building 8, Room 223