Re: optics

George asked:
I need some help, back in the days just after slide rulers my professor in
optics talked about using 2X2 matrix for doing ray tracing, does anyone
have that information and where can I find it. The reason that I ask is
the current generation of calculators do matrics easily and I thought that
it might be an interesting way to present optics
regards george marrash

The "Intro to Optics" book by Pedrotti & Pedrotti which I will use next
semester has a chapter on this.

The idea is to trace a ray by a column vector [y,A], where A is the
angle of elevation of the ray to the horizontal, and y is the vertical
(off axis) coordinate of the point on the ray being described.
As the ray propagates and is refracted, a 2x2 matrix operates on
this column vector to generate the column vector of new values for
y and A. For example the matrix with row 1 = [1,0]
and row 2 = [(n/n'-1)/R , n/n'] describes a refraction at a
spherical interface: the angle A changes, the coordinate y does not.

By combining all the matricies describing a complicated system, a single
matrix can be generated to represent the transformation of [y,A]
between any two planes in a paraxial optical system.

Hope this is useful.
-Bob

Bob Sciamanda sciamanda@edinboro.edu
Dept of Physics sciamanda@worldnet.att.net