Re: optics

The most recent editions of "Optics" by Blaker and Rosenblum, (Macmillan,
1973), "Introduction to Classical and Modern Optics" by Meyer-Arendt
(Printice Hall, 1995), and "Optics" by Klein and Furtak (Wiley, 1986) have
sections on ray tracing via 2x2 matrices. These are just recent books I
happen to have on my shelf. I think most optics books written these days
will have a section on matrix methods. Jim Marsh

I need some help, back in the days just after slide rulers my professor in
optics talked about using 2X2 matrix for doing ray tracing, does anyone
have that information and where can I find it. The reason that I ask is
the current generation of calculators do matrics easily and I thought that
it might be an interesting way to present optics

regards george marrash

* George Marrash Heaven help the man who is not *
* The McCallie School *
* 500 Dodds Ave. Scottish and hears the pipes. *
* Chattanooga, TN 37404 *
* gmarrash@truth.mccallie.chattanooga.tn.us *
* http://www.mccallie.org/gmarrash *
* (423) 493-5875 *
* (423) 493-5656 (fax) *

* * * * * * * * * * * * * "Perhaps the grand all seeing Mandarin
* James S. Marsh * could dig deeply into the vast mine
* Department of Physics * of stategy and disclose
* The University of West Florida * a specific detail?"
* 11000 University Parkway * U Fat's Fables
* Pensacola, FL 32514-5750 *
* *
* (904) 474 2270 *