[Phys-L] What twenty years has done

https://www.phys-l.org/archives/2002/08_2002/msg00173.html

Professor Palmer appears to be alive, emerited from Simon Frazer U.

bc …. recently couldn’t travel from his residence in Steinbeck Land to UC Santa Cruz, because the Hwy was closed.

p.s. The very long detour through Silicon Valley also closed. I think for a short time Santa Cruz was completely isolated. Hwy One north and south and 17 to San Jose closed, and CA 9 also! At least one community in Big Sur (South Hwy one) is serviced by helicopter.

I crossed the Salinas River today and was saddened by its extreme muddiness. Al that soil going out to sea! Possibly the levee break and subsequent flooding in Pajaro will leave some “nutritious” mud on the strawberry fields. I had returned from the Monterey County Science Fair — still our hated formula. I ignored the hypot., etc. and just discussed with the students their future work and complimented them on their topic ideas, and more.

All the fields that weren’t inundated are planted with strawberries — One field, a pond more than two miles in diameter.

I fear new floods when the huge snow pack melts. My favo. restaurant was closed, due to power failure — fallen tree(s). PG&E, bless them, restored it in a day or two.