[Phys-L] Two questions on General Relativity

Hi,

I read a book on Einstein's Legacy (in Finnish). It was an interesting tour through the predictions that Einstein made in physics. The author is an astronomer who has lectured general relativity at a university level. He starts each chapter by quoting an original article either by Einstein or some other researcher using Einstein's ideas and theories. This is the best overview of Einstein's scientific work I've read so far.

However, there are two claims in the book which surprised me (quotations translated by me).

1) "Nowadays the Equivalence Principle has mainly historical meaning."

This is because it's just an approximation of GR. The evidence offered is Einstein's paper in 1911 in which he calculated the bending of light due to the Sun, and got an answer which is only half of the measured value. The final prediction was made in his 1915 paper and this provided a correct value.

Is it really so that the Equivalence Principle, if correctly applied, fails to yield the correct value in the experiments carried out by Eddington and others? Has the Equivalence Principle only pedagogical value anymore, that is, is it virtually useless for research purposes?

2) "The speed of light is slowed down in a gravitational field."

The author cites Einstein's paper in 1911. In that paper, Einstein derived a formula indicating that the speed of light is a function of position in a gravitational field (that is, depends on the gravitational potential). The empirical evidence is provided by the Shapiro time delay experiments (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shapiro_time_delay). More recently, the Cassini spacecraft has produced a very precise confirmation of the time delay effect: https://www.nature.com/articles/nature01997.

My question is the following: Does the modern interpretation of GR still maintain that the speed of light depends on the gravitational potential as stated by Einstein in 1911? If so, wouldn't this mean that when light climbs from a gravitational well, it would experience both the gravitational redshift (https://astronomy.swin.edu.au/cosmos/g/Gravitational+Redshift) *and* the decrease in speed?

A final note: Many sources seem to agree that "In GR the velocity of light is only locally equal to c."

Regards,

Antti Savinainen, PhD

Kuopio Lyseo HS

Finland