Re: [Phys-L] Two questions on General Relativity

On Saturday, March 26, 2022, 3:42:59 AM EDT, Antti Savinainen via Phys-l <phys-l@mail.phys-l.org> wrote:
"Does the modern interpretation of GR still > maintain that the speed of light depends on the gravitational potential
as stated by Einstein in 1911?"

  This depends on what kind of speed of light we discuss. See below.

"A final note: Many sources seem to agree that "In GR the velocity of
light is only locally equal to c."

  This is true. Just as the principle of equivalence is universal only locally, the speed of light is universal constant only locally. The difference between local and nonlocal speed of light is most clearly seen in the experiments involving rotating RF which generate non-uniform gravitational field. The physical distinctions between local and global light speeds there can be even shown grapfically, which might be very instructive in the classroom. The details are described in my book "Special Relativity and How It Works", Wiley-VCH, 2008 (Section 8.4). It also discusses associated topic of the red shift (Sec. 13.2). Today I would write the book more concisely, but the essence would remain the same.

Moses FayngoldNJIT