Re: [Phys-L] Bayesian Inference in Half-Life measurement

Oh, very interesting. I'll have to give pystan a try.

Paul

On Thu, Sep 23, 2021 at 3:26 AM Francois Primeau <fprimeau@uci.edu> wrote:

Paul,
If you are serious about considering the multiple sources of systematic
errors you list in your post, you might consider learning how to use the
probabilistic modeling language called Stan ( https://mc-stan.org/ ). It
allows you to define the prior probability density and likelihood function
in a pretty high-level language, which gets compiled so that Monte-Carlo
samples can be obtained from the posterior probability density. The
resulting code is fast, and it's easy to sample from some fairly high
dimensional probability densities. There is a bit of a spin-up to install
the software and learn to use it, but complicated models with tens to
hundreds of parameters can often be handled quite easily once you are up
and running. I have used it on a few geophysical inverse modeling
applications. Our probability models involved tens of nuisance parameters
that needed to be integrated over to obtain error bars on the processes of
interest. I believe the interface between Stan and R or Python is well
maintained, the one with Matlab, not so much.

Here is the blurb from the Stan website:

Stan is a state-of-the-art platform for statistical modeling and
high-performance statistical computation. Thousands of users rely on Stan
for statistical modeling, data analysis, and prediction in the social,
biological, and physical sciences, engineering, and business.
Users specify log density functions in Stan’s probabilistic programming
language and get:

- full Bayesian statistical inference with MCMC sampling (NUTS, HMC)
- approximate Bayesian inference with variational inference (ADVI)
- penalized maximum likelihood estimation with optimization (L-BFGS)

Stan’s math library provides differentiable probability functions &
linear
algebra (C++ autodiff). Additional R packages provide expression-based
linear modeling, posterior visualization, and leave-one-out
cross-validation.

Best,
Francois