Re: [Phys-L] Bayesian Inference in Half-Life measurement

On 2021/Sep/22, at 12:16, John Denker via Phys-l <phys-l@mail.phys-l.org> wrote:

We agree that "simply subtracting the background will sometimes
result in a negative number of counts".

That’s not the only problem.

If I understand correctly, if this is likely, that implies a rather small counting rate, and, therefore, long times counting will be done; unless the half life is too short. So long background counting, but the background changes, is it diurnal? Or? Another project.

Any way; In my v. long time counting, I find sig diffs with counting background for 200 minutes [1] separated by six and/or twelve hours. I’ve considered counting the source and the background on two apparatuses. (~ two inches of lead shielding)

As I’ve posted earlier this is “junk” collected in filters.

Also I’ve noticed that the decay of mBa-137? end in a higher background than the back. collected before adding the elution from the Cs-137 “cow”. This is even after several days. So I conclude the separation using the (is it?) ion exchange resin is not perfect. Next project is to use my SCA to verify it’s Cs-137 “leakage”.

Later:
In an associated search, I find the Pasco version claims < 50 Bq/ml leakage. I have an expensive dated calibrated Cs source, so I'll calibrate one of my NaI detectors and verify. Maybe.

[1] The longest selected time on my The Nucleus 550 scaler-timer.

bc