Re: [Phys-L] charge versus gorge

I found it very interesting to watch starting up and shutting down the
water pump in a water circuit, and thinking about charge conservation
and self-capacitance. That really helped me concretize the issues of
how Kirchhoff’s laws “break" and how to repair them during transients.
Shutting down the pump usually gets flow of water in both directions
into the reservoir, as well as visually draining vertical tubes illustrating
excess charge accretions maintaining potential (see url)..

Of course the analogy domain and range are limited in many ways,
but I like to think about rich phenomena and water circuits are easy
to observe. The last of an external magnetic field analog in a water circuit is
particularly disappointing.

I had a student write a project about (more intro steady state)
water circuits for his teaching masters’ project recently that might be of interest.

Dan M

<https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/13kU8hgwTdU4FrnWd10DtSXBx0iqY--Ub>