Re: [Phys-L] Half-Life measurement

I like the ideas about possible surface contaminants on the copper. And
I've presumed it to be pure copper, but I can't say that it isn't an alloy.

If there is some zinc in there, leaving it in the neutron bath for months
would produce a higher activation of the zinc.

Sulfur would need to capture three neutrons before it was transmuted into a
radioactive isotope. The cross sections are high, but I'm dubious that
there could be enough material there to show up in the signal.

We're grasping at straws on the experimental design. The signal-to-noise
was already a little questionable.

Fluctuations in the detector efficiency could have a similar impact on the
data.

I just saw your response about the background level. I was wondering what
you were seeing. My analysis had a reasonable background. I think that we
agree that the signal-to-noise is the major limiting factor here.

I should try to get data sets from the other two student groups.

Paul

On Wed, Oct 13, 2021 at 2:04 PM John Denker via Phys-l <