Re: [Phys-L] Half-Life measurement

In case it wasn't obvious:

Using a *cumulative* counter and a clock is a Good Thing,
much preferable to using a resettable incremental counter
and an interval timer. Most of the lab procedures I've
seen call for the latter, which causes loss of information.

-- If you have the cumulative data and want the incremental
data, you can always get it by subtraction.

-- If you have only the incremental data for "selected"
intervals, you have no idea what was going on between
those intervals.

The cumulative data allowed me to plot both the Laurels and
the Hardys, as discussed in the previous message. It turns
out that the Hardys contain a lot of good information. If
you thought of the Laurels as "the" readings, all the Hardy
information would get thrown away.

It's often amazing how small details in the lab technique
can have a large impact on the outcome. I've seen patent
lawyers ask: You succeeded, but what did you do differently
from the thousands of guys who tried the same thing and
failed? Then it takes a year to answer the question.