Re: [Phys-L] GRE worse than useless

On 3/2/2020 4:34 AM, bernard cleyet via Phys-l wrote:
This is just the most recent “nail in the coffin”.

Back in about ’62 the U at Santa Barbara wouldn’t admit me, because my total physics at UCSB undergrad was sl. below a B. I graduated w/ honor, because of many A’s in other courses. My recourse was the GRE.
/snip/

This is turning into a regular trip down memory lane.

Twenty years after Bernard's black-ball, I needed a "relevant" undergrad degree quickly. So I acquired an accredited computer science degree in about seven months at a cost of about $500, principally by writing three GRE exams, adding a CLEP or two, doing a viva in French and throwing in one or two other odds & ends. Not the most prestigious sheepskin ever, but it served its purpose.

Comparing the GRE and the LSAT, I found that it was a challenge to get better than the 50th percentile, sitting the latter stone cold & unprepared than much better form in any of the former tests.
 [I could only console myself that I could at least spell "potatoes" in the singular form.]

Brian W