Re: [Phys-L] treating force as a vector ... consistently

I'd suggest that the 'confusion' here is from using a strict mathematical definition of vectors that I doubt almost anyone who has taught the introductory level of physics even knows much less pays any attention to. We treat the vector representations of the two forces being considered (book on earth and table on book) as distinct. It may disturb the mathematician's sensibilities, but this is not the only place that physics fudges with the math without damage to the physics--at least at this level of instruction. I know for sure that no student I ever taught has objected to having vectors of the same magnitude and direction shown applied at different locations and considering how little 'vector' math seems to exist in many math curricula, it is very unlikely to be a problem for virtually any student. In other words John, your objections would introduce more confusion into standard physics instruction. The momentum approach might well work, but I never tried it and won't have the opportunity to do so.

rwt