Re: [Phys-L] inertia and the tablecloth demo

If inertia is the tendency of a mass to resist a CHANGE in motion and forces are what cause changes in motion then the string can provide enough force to change the motion of the mass as long as that change is not too large...as long as the acceleration is not too large. However, if we try for a large (quick) change in motion and therefore a large acceleration, then the string cannot provide that amount of force. That is enough--no need to go into details of how the string breaks. Has worked fairly well with students in my experience. Of course I start out with a similar demo that shows students that they have a firmly ingrained instinct for all of this by using a roll of toilet paper on a rod. Pull slowly to unroll, pull quickly to break off a piece. At least it gets a laugh or two.

The ping pong ball and bowling ball can show the difference between the inertia of two objects (can use the two for momentum ideas as well). The mass and string extends the idea more clearly to the idea of acceleration...that the rate of change matters...something just moving the two balls doesn't. My twist on this has been to get a volunteer to come up and place a hand palm up flat on the table. I then drop a small rubber ball into their hand from about a foot above. THEN...hover the bowling ball in the same position! Both balls will be moving at the same speed when they hit the hand...so what's the big deal! [Of course I never dropped the bowling ball...well not on their hands anyway.]

rwt