Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2016 17:36:12 +0000
From: "Forinash III, Kyle" <kforinas@ius.edu>
To: "phys-l@www.phys-l.org" <phys-l@www.phys-l.org>
Subject: Re: [Phys-L] microwave ovens

Hi

Rob Brotherton in his book ?Suspicious Minds; why we believe conspiracy theories? (http://www.amazon.com/Suspicious-Minds-Believe-Conspiracy-Theories/dp/1472915615/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1461690107&sr=8-9&keywords=conspiracy+theory+books) makes the case that some people are more susceptible to conspiracies than others and that we all are susceptible to some degree. The tendency is that if you believe that vaccines cause autism you also believe Kennedy was killed by some mysterious cabal, microwaves cause cancer, fluorine is bad, etc. Brotherton argues these people aren?t stupid, they can give very involved, complex, logical arguments for their beliefs. But they often commit the fallacy (among others) that lack of evidence proves that something is being hidden or covered up. It is very hard to dispel that kind of thinking. The book is a fun read; I recommend it as giving insight into how conspiracists think.

As for microwaves and cell phones causing cancer; if this were true, there would have been a very dramatic and sudden increase in cancers following the widespread introduction of these devices. Historical cancer rates are available from the CDC: http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/leading-causes-of-death.htm and do not show a sudden increase (unless of course, maybe the CDC is covering up something ?.!). You CAN see a distinct increase in lung cancer in men in the 40s following the widespread increase in smoking in the 20s and 30s, followed by a parallel increase of lung cancer among women two decades later as it became more acceptable for women to smoke. Most other cancer rates have remained approximately constant since the 30s with the exception of stomach cancer which has dropped significantly since the 40s, most likely due to better diets (fresh fruits and vegetables were only available seasonally until we started importing them year round).

kyle

Message: 2