[Phys-L] Mental Exercise & Integrity (was Evaluation tests redux)

On 7/28/2014 1:35 PM, Anthony Lapinski wrote:
/snip/

I don't like giving a "test" on the first day of school, but I'd rather
raise the red flags early than later. If you plan to do this sort of
thing, I highly recommend to do it in class. If done at home or online,
there will be integrity issues. /snip/
Integrity Issues.

There is a popular online mental agility application called Lumosity which claims to improve one's mental acuity (the evidence for such transference is however slender).

Two of the games involve remembering patterns short-term: the quasi random layout of squares on a checkerboard, or the quasi random layout of diagonal mirrors on a checkerboard.
The object of the first is to accurately recall the layout - the objective of the second game is to predict the exit square of a light pulse (let us call it) given the entrance square, and recalling the mirrors which deflect it repeatedly round the board.

Now the fact of the matter is that my short-term visual pattern recall is abysmal, so after a while, I adopted a new strategy: I took closeup pictures of the screen while the test pattern was presented, then recalled the camera images to provide a (perfect!) answer for each pattern in a series of possibly twenty..

Naturally enough, the game responded by increasing the board size and pattern complexity, so my scores on these games soared. Still the application weighted these outlying scores so that the overall effect was quite modest.

The question: Why would I cheat in such an obvious way? Probably, because I could, possibly because I was gratified by the results.
On a second level (I rationalize) the ability to find another way to overcome obstacles is some kind of mental acuity measure.

....And from there, it is *SUCH* a short step to acquiescing with the politicians who uniformly accept large (or small) sums in support of their campaigns, and in support of donors' hidden agendas.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK