From: Phys-l [mailto:phys-l-bounces@phys-l.org] On Behalf Of brian
whatcott
Sent: Friday, April 11, 2014 10:59 AM
To: phys-l@phys-l.org
Subject: Re: [Phys-L] highway mirage

Surprising to see the extended discussion surrounding the effort to fit a road
mirage into the ray optics paradigm. Some of it mentioned total internal
reflection in this connection.

But wait! Suppose I examine a situation with two adjacent
parallel rays approaching a region of reducing refractive index at a slight
angle. Call them A & B. The first ray curves gently away, and above it, the
parallel ray closely follows the first ray's trajectory.
Approaching they are ordered A & B, departing they are also A & B.
Now suppose I consider two such rays approaching a mirror surface:
first the lower ray reflects up, then the second ray likewise. In
approaching the rays are A and B, on departing B and A. An inversion
of a familiar kind.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK Indian Territory.