Re: [Phys-L] highway mirage

I realize this isn't really appropriate for an introductory physics
class, but it's not too onerous to integrate Snell's Law directly to
determine the path of the ray.

Assume n depends on z, and we'd like to solve for z(x), the trajectory
of the ray through the refractive medium. Then Snell's law says that

n_i sin(theta_i) = n(z) sin(theta(z))

and in particular, we can set n_i sin(theta_i) = n_min, the smallest
index of refraction that the ray would "see" as it turns around /
experiences TIR. This value n_min is a "constant of the motion".

In terms of the path z(x),

sin(theta(z)) = 1/sqrt(1 + (dz/dx)^2) ,

which, after a bit of algebra with Snell's Law, leads to

dx/dz = 1/sqrt((n(z)/nmin)^2 - 1) .

In other words, Snell's Law is equivalent to a 1st order DE for (the
inverse function of) the path.

For example, a linear index, say n(z) = n_min + A z, gives rise to a
ray path that's a hyperbolic cosine:

z(x) = (cosh(k x) - 1)/k
where k = A/n_min.

If instead the index profile is something like

n(z) = n_min sqrt(1 + (a z)^2)

then the ray's path is a decreasing exponential, exp(-a x), and the ray
won't experience TIR.

(This should all match John D's "epsilonic" analysis.)

To me, this purely ray optics approach bothered me conceptually... until
I remembered that Snell's Law itself is derived by considering the
behavior of (usually planar) wavefronts. Is there any way to derive
Snell's Law *without* using wave properties?

- Craig

On Fri, 11 Apr 2014 13:39:28 -0400