Re: [Phys-L] highway mirage

Surprising to see the extended discussion surrounding the effort to fit a road mirage into the ray optics paradigm. Some of it mentioned total internal reflection in this connection.

But wait! Suppose I examine a situation with two adjacent parallel rays approaching a region of reducing refractive index at a slight angle. Call them A & B. The first ray curves gently away, and above it, the parallel ray closely follows the first ray's trajectory. Approaching they are ordered A & B, departing they are also A & B.
Now suppose I consider two such rays approaching a mirror surface: first the lower ray reflects up, then the second ray likewise. In approaching the rays are A and B, on departing B and A. An inversion of a familiar kind.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK Indian Territory.