From: Phys-l [mailto:phys-l-bounces@phys-l.org] On Behalf Of John Denker
Sent: Thursday, April 03, 2014 6:01 PM
To: Phys-L@Phys-L.org
Subject: Re: [Phys-L] Lenz's law and conservation of energy

Executive summary: I still find the energy argument to be unnecessary ... and also non-constructive. The constructive calculation based on V = flux_dot and V = IR works just fine.
Here I mean "constructive" as in "constructive proof" as opposed to proof by contradiction. In particular, the constructive calculation provides far more insight as to what happens for zero resistivity, low resistivity, high resistivity, and everything in between ... whereas the proof by contradiction doesn't give you much more than the sign of the effect. So again this is a 100% solid physics reason *and* a pedagogical reason to prefer the V = flux_dot and V = IR approach.