Re: [Phys-L] Trick photography?

... of course, no matter the inclination, the Moon will often be located in or near the equatorial plane.

John Mallinckrodt
Cal Poly Pomona

On Mar 3, 2014, at 8:30 PM, John Mallinckrodt wrote:

No, I didn't mean that, Sergey, but I do see now that I was wrong. Thanks for the correction!

The moon's orbit is inclined by ~5 degrees to the ecliptic, NOT the equatorial plane, so things are actually a little more complicated than I had indicated. Because the orbital plane of the moon precesses with a 20 year period, unless I'm making another mistake, there must be times when the moon's orbital plane is inclined by as much as 28 degrees and never less than 18 degrees to the Earth's equatorial plane, which would have a non-negligible effect on the apparent angular velocity of the moon reducing it by between 5% (at 18 degrees) and 12% (at 28 degrees) from the value it would have if the orbital plane of the Moon coincided with the Earth's equatorial plane.

Now, I can't help but wonder if I'm making another mistake because my calculations from Bob's film seemed to work out so well under the assumption that the moon's orbit was essentially equatorial.

John Mallinckrodt
Cal Poly Pomona