Re: [Phys-L] Trick photography?

I'm still learning (a good sign)! ==>
I am just realizing that the apparent moon speed is NOT calculable as the moon's linear orbital speed minus the linear spin speed of an earth surface point.

IE., Vap is NOT= {(6.28*250000)/(30*24) - (6.28*4000)/24} miles/hr. This is grossly wrong - even in direction!

Instead, Vap = {6.28/(30*24)-6.28/24}*250000 miles/hr. => the relative ANGULAR velocity times the moon's orbital radius.

It is incorrect to treat the earth observer as viewing a linear motion from a linear moving frame. We must acknowledge that the earth observer is viewing a rotational motion from a rotational frame. Note that this turns the moon's actual EASTWARD motion into the observed WESTWARD motion. The linear mistreatment fails to even do this.

Again, thanks to John M for leading me to this realization.

Bob Sciamanda
Physics, Edinboro Univ of PA (Em)
treborsci@verizon.net
http://sciamanda.com