Re: [Phys-L] Trick photography?

There is one other subtle effect related to the inclination of the Moon's orbit to the Earth's equatorial plane. Because that inclination is only 5 degrees it doesn't produce very noticeable changes in the apparent rate of motion. But imagine that the inclination were, say, 80 degrees. In that case the apparent motion of the moon would depend strongly on the orbital phase. Twice a month the moon would be found only 10 degrees away from a celestial pole and at those times its apparent motion would be very small.

John Mallinckrodt
Cal Poly Pomona