Re: [Phys-L] playing for keeps

Regarding:

Good point, John M. (Are half of the people on this list named
John?) So here's a more complete summary.

Bounding square/circle:
perimeter 8r/2pi*r = 4/pi = 1.27
area 4r^2/pi*r^2 = 4/pi = 1.27 (odd that the ratios are the
same)

Bounding cube/sphere
area 24r^2/4*pi*r^2 = 6/pi = 1.91
volume 8r^3/(4/3)pi*r^3 = 6/pi = 1.91

Seems like it ought to be easy to see why these pairs work....??

Bruce

On Sat, Jun 29, 2013 at 6:09 PM, John Mallinckrodt