From: Phys-l [mailto:phys-l-bounces@phys-l.org] On Behalf Of
brian whatcott
Sent: Friday, June 21, 2013 10:13 PM
To: phys-l@phys-l.org
Subject: Re: [Phys-L] Indicators of quality teaching
(Was:MOOC: EdxOffers Mechanics course by Prof.Walter Lewin)

On 6/21/2013 7:19 PM, John Clement wrote [in part]:
Everyone who calls them selves a teacher, instructor, or
professor
should learn about these sorts of things.

Effect size = (post - pre)/STD
An effect size of 1 is considered enormous and many studies
do not get
effect sizes larger than .5. Many PER practicioners get
effect sizes
greater than 1.

But this definition of gain has the problem that it is
skewed by the
size of the pre-test and also is highly dependent on class
homogeneity. Just a straight post-pre has a large
dependence on the
pre test. So Hake came up with Hake gain or normalized gain.

Normalized Gain = (post-pre)/(max score - pre)

I am not a teacher. I am sympathetic to the idea of gain
measurement
as described often on this list. Trouble is, I don't
understand John
Clement's short hand description, given above. What is STD?
What is
max score? max of whom or what?

Sincerely

Brian Whatcott Altus OK