Re: [Phys-L] Indicators of quality teaching (Was:MOOC: EdxOffers Mechanics course by Prof.Walter Lewin)

On 6/21/2013 7:19 PM, John Clement wrote [in part]:
Everyone who calls them selves a teacher,
instructor, or professor should learn about these sorts of things.

Effect size = (post - pre)/STD
An effect size of 1 is considered enormous and many studies do not get
effect sizes larger than .5. Many PER practicioners get effect sizes
greater than 1.

But this definition of gain has the problem that it is skewed by the size of
the pre-test and also is highly dependent on class homogeneity. Just a
straight post-pre has a large dependence on the pre test. So Hake came up
with Hake gain or normalized gain.

Normalized Gain = (post-pre)/(max score - pre)

I am not a teacher. I am sympathetic to the idea of gain measurement as described often on this list. Trouble is, I don't understand John Clement's short hand description, given above. What is STD? What is max score? max of whom or what?

Sincerely

Brian Whatcott Altus OK