Re: [Phys-L] Q for band width is not valid. Was: Re: finding Q from band width?

On 2013, Oct 21, , at 16:05, brian whatcott <betwys1@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

On 10/21/2013 3:49 PM, Bernard Cleyet wrote [in small part]:
some better clocks use silica pendula in addition to reduced thermal sensitivity.
/snip/
bc maths declined, so won't even try a trial solution.

I recall that a fused silica rod may be purchased at inconsiderable cost from a US source.
These shiny glass surfaces have a quasi-hygroscopic property which has apparently defeated some precise measurements of small weights

and the optical quality (IR) of silica is largely dependent on the water content.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suprasil

: still, the wooden pendulum has a thermal coefficient which may be quite low, but is also rather hygroscopic.

An HSN article discussed this including pressure treatment. I think breath driven wooden instruments are immersed in a bath of wax, evacuated and then when let down to air are thereby protected. I found the amount of wax is awesome when I forgot my best recorder on the back ledge of my VW bug. I had to ream out the cavity!

I recall some suggestions that miniature ball races cleaned of all lubricant can serve as relatively low-loss pivots, eliminating the flexure's variation in effective pendular length with amplitude and mass.

The current RMSs sold by Vernier are also lubricant free.

bc's disst. research used Suprasil prisms.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK