Re: [Phys-L] Q for band width is not valid. Was: Re: finding Q from band width?

On 10/21/2013 3:49 PM, Bernard Cleyet wrote [in small part]:
some better clocks use silica pendula in addition to reduced thermal sensitivity.
/snip/
bc maths declined, so won't even try a trial solution.

I recall that a fused silica rod may be purchased at inconsiderable cost from a US source.
These shiny glass surfaces have a quasi-hygroscopic property which has apparently defeated some precise measurements of small weights: still, the wooden pendulum has a thermal coefficient which may be quite low, but is also rather hygroscopic. I recall some suggestions that miniature ball races cleaned of all lubricant can serve as relatively low-loss pivots, eliminating the flexure's variation in effective pendular length with amplitude and mass.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK