Re: [Phys-L] ? FCI --> momentum flow

On 10/15/2013 Bernard Cleyet <bernardcleyet@redshift.com> wrote:

On 2013, Oct 14, , at 04:35, Chuck Britton <cvbritton@mac.com> wrote:

Interesting sidenote on an often overlooked detail of a successful Newton's Cradle.

When at rest, there is a small gap between each ball in the series.

It is rapid-fire SERIES of collisions.

cut

I'd never noticed -- sure nuff. My LASER pointed shows a gap (including a diff. pattern). So what happens if no gap -- even the suspensions of the rods (strings) placed so the balls press against each other??
I imagine that all but the first ball rock in unison, with small amplitude, the first ball rebounding sharply and with the remaining balls' motion decaying due to the sliding friction between balls. In other words, about what you'd expect? :-)

Brian Whatcott Altus OK