Re: [Phys-L] [SPAM] Re: strange things in chem book

On 2012, Sep 16, , at 17:56, Marty Weiss wrote:

Check out Doonesbury. This week.. but I forgot which day it was. The teacher is teaching evolution, then he says, "By Texas law I now have to explain the alternate theory...and proceeds to lay out the Biblical statements of sudden creation with drawings of animals entering the ark. Finally a student calls out , "Please stop, I want to get into a good college."

I suspect he's vacing, as it's an oldy . A better one is a Doc. treating a religious kook patient (2006):

"The Making of the Fittest: DNA and the Ultimate Forensic Record of Evolution. Sean B. Carroll. 301 pp. W.W. Norton, 2006. $25.95.

Garry Trudeau recently composed a Doonesbury cartoon in which a doctor asks a patient with tuberculosis whether he is a creationist—saying that his answer will determine whether the treatment will be streptomycin (effective only for the TB of yesteryear) or a more modern antibiotic (one that would work on the drug-resistant strain into which the TB bacterium had lately evolved).Despite his religious convictions, the patient shows great interest in the updated drug."

http://www.americanscientist.org/bookshelf/pub/natural-selection-for-everyone

bc