Re: [Phys-L] strange things in chem book

On Sep 16, 2012, at 7:42 PM, Anthony Lapinski wrote:

Interesting discussion!

People always say, "I have a theory as to why..." The word "hypothesis" is
rarely used in the general public. "Theory" just sounds better to them.
This will never change.
Exactly... so let's not feed into the ignorance frenzy by pretending to explain what is really is. We must start being aggressive. When someone says evolution is "just a theory" we should say, it's a theory that is absolutely true and the basis for all biological discovery of the 21st century." No more, 'yes, but'. And, yes, among scientists we can argue and discuss to our little hearts' content. But in public we have to get the upper hand. We must quit being wimps about this.
Stop being the Rodney Dangerfields of the professional world.

(ps: notice I deleted all the preceding posts. Please do this more often, people, to avoid clogging up our servers.)