Re: [Phys-L] Private schools

Public education was established for the welfare of the SOCIETY--not the individual or the parents. No one is 'entitled' to an education--rather the society deems it necessary to educate individuals so that they can be useful and hopefully self-sustaining members of that society. No one is 'entitled' to a College Education, but if the society (government) decides that universal College education is necessary for the good of the society (something we all know is BS) then that privilege will be granted and the tax-payers will pick up the bill. We also know that the society (government) has failed--especially in the areas of vocational education--to meet the original mandate. All this talk about 'gaming' the system is just more BS if one looks to these basics of public education.

Private schools are where the individual (parents) have 'rights' (which they pay for). Public Schools exist for the welfare of the society!

[Public education for women was largely a result of early factory owners wanting to hire 'cheaper' labor but needing some minimal levels of education in that pool--something we can see reflected over the past couple decades with the large influx of immigrant workers.]

rwt

Richard W. Tarara
Professor of Physics
Saint Mary's College