Re: [Phys-l] egg science

I have one of these as well, and I love it. I've been meaning to hook it up to my Kill-O-Watt meter to measure how much energy it uses.

Zeke

________________________________
From: Jeffrey Schnick <JSchnick@Anselm.Edu>
To: Forum for Physics Educators <phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu>
Sent: Monday, April 9, 2012 2:24 PM
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] egg science

A few years back, my wife asked me what I wanted for Christmas.  I said
<some kind of gadget>.  She got me an electric egg steamer like this:
<http://www.amazon.com/Aroma-AEB-917-Egg-Boiler-Stainless/dp/B0002OKDWE/
ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1333993341&sr=8-9>
There is some interesting physics involved.  It comes with a single
plastic measuring cup with three sets of seven fill lines--one set for
soft-boiled, one set for medium boiled, and one set for hard boiled.
Within each set, the individual fill lines are marked with the number of
eggs to be cooked.  The measuring cup has a sharp plastic spike in the
middle of the bottom of the cup.  The spike is on the outside part of
the cup but the little cup stands like an ordinary drinking glass
because, as viewed from below the cup, the bottom is concave.

To use, you put the measured amount of water in the bottom of the device
(which is metal with a non-stick surface), put the rack on, punch one
end of each egg and put the eggs in the rack, punctured end up, put the
lid on, plug the steamer in and turn it on.  Before long steam is
escaping from the little hole in the center of the top of the lid and
after a few minutes the house is filled with a loud buzzing sound which
starts as soon as the water is all gone and calls me away from the
computer where I have gone to read phys-l, reminding me that I am
cooking something.

How it "knows" when to sound the buzzer is pretty easy to figure out,
but get this:  The more eggs you want to cook to a given degree, say to
the soft-boiled stage for instance, the LESS water you put in the
boiler!  I think that makes for a nice little physics puzzle.

I have used the egg steamer on many occasions without punching a hole
through the shell and I find that on the average, the only difference
punching the hole makes is that the eggs are easier to peel if I
remember to take the few seconds to punch the hole. By letting cold
water run on an egg for a few seconds and then rolling it on the counter
to break the shell I find I can peel even the soft-boiled eggs and still
serve them hot.