Re: [Phys-l] continuous but not differentiable

On 2012, Mar 30, , at 09:47, John Denker wrote:

On 03/30/2012 08:59 AM, Bernard Cleyet wrote:
every thing is linear in a narrow range unless poorly behaved (discontinuous).

I hope this doesn't seem unduly nitpicky ... but "discontinuous"
functions are not the only ones that fail to have a linear
approximation.

As a familiar example, the absolute value function is
continuous at the origin, but has no linear approximation
there, as is obvious from the fact that it is not
differentiable.

This point is not some irrelevant mathematical nitpick.
Functions that have no Taylor-series expansion show up in
physics, for example in connection with critical phenomena.
http://www.nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/physics/laureates/1982/

Continuing down that road, the Weierstrass function is
everywhere continuous but nowhere differentiable!

list junk cut

I shoulda emphasized poorly behaved and that discontinuous as an example only.

Really, I was aware of the differentiability requirement.

bc being overly defensive