Re: [Phys-l] Hewitt's three answers

When I teach the linear electronics course at Bluffton University, I have the students connect a phototube to an operational amplifier configured as a current-to-voltage converter. We connect the output of the opamp to an oscilloscope and view the flicker of various light sources.

I didn't have any records of this, so this afternoon I ran back to the lab, made the circuit, and recorded some data with a digital oscilloscope.

I did it really fast and didn't take time to adjust the oscilloscope for maximum performance, but the pictures are clear and show exactly what those of you following this thread need to see.

I assembled the pictures with a little write-up into a PDF file, and you can observe or download the file from the following link.

www.bluffton.edu/~edmistonm/Flicker.pdf

Michael D. Edmiston, PhD.
Professor of Chemistry and Physics
Chair, Division of Natural and Applied Sciences
Bluffton University
Bluffton, OH 45817
Office 419-358-3270
Cell 419-230-9657