Re: [Phys-l] Neutrinos going faster than speed of light?

Kamiokande became operational in 1983. That was the first big detector. It might not have been up and running in time. It was probably not well calibrated for another year. The conspiracy theorist in me wants to point out that it seems much too convenient that this new result is just outside of the range that could be refuted by Kamiokande.

Some people are claiming that the neutrinos in the OPERA experiment are much higher energy than supernova neutrinos and therefore might have different properties (speed, for example).

Paul