Re: [Phys-l] cooling hints

Ah! Bitten by the "Law" of Unintended Consequences.

-----Original Message-----
From: phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu [mailto:phys-l-
bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu] On Behalf Of DMathies@tulsacc.edu
Sent: Wednesday, August 24, 2011 10:51 AM
To: haar@physics.arizona.edu; Forum for Physics Educators
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] cooling hints

About three years ago the decision was made to a four day work week.
The
AC was turned off late Thurs and on again the following Monday at 6 AM.
(the chillers were turned off not the blowers air still circulated but
was
taken directly from outside) The idea was to save lots of money on the
electricity bill. They still have a 4 day work week in the summer but
no
longer turn off the AC. They announced that we would save many k$. At
the
end of the summer they announced that the trial was a success. However
the
following year when they went to a four day week they no longer turned
the
chillers off. It took a while to find out why but eventually it came
out
that we did indeed save some money on electricity (not nearly the
amount
that they wanted to save) but lost it all and more on maintenance. The
main reason for increased maintenance was that the humidity inside rose
such high levels that a thin film of water was often found on all
surfaces
every Monday morning in poorly ventilated rooms. Most of the
engineering
closets where the controls of the phones, internet, cooling system, etc
are located in such areas. We had lots of failures of the phone system
and
some with the internet. In addition the Computer Tech people had many
equipment problems due to the humidity.

Don Mathieson
Tulsa Community College
dmathies@tulsacc.edu

Roger Haar <haar@physics.arizona.edu>
Sent by: phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu
08/24/2011 10:29 AM
Please respond to
haar@physics.arizona.edu; Please respond to
Forum for Physics Educators <phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu>

Forum for Physics Educators <phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu>
cc

Subject
Re: [Phys-l] cooling hints

Hi,

I suspect that there are lots of myths, about A/C.
Some
may have been true of the equipment of 20-30 years ago but
not the current equipment. My A/C can easily keep my house
at 80 F when it is 110 F outside. I suspect it could keep
the inside at 70F based on the On/Off time

Timing has a lot to do with this. IF you come home at
near
the peak outside temperature and kick on the AC, then is
working at a big temperature differential and is less
efficient. If I could talk my wife into it, I would have
the A/C target temp drop to 70F or 65F at about 4:00 or 5:00
AM when the outside is coolest and then at 7:00 AM change
the target to 80 F. The system would coast for a few hours.

Here at the U of Arizona, they take this a step
further.
At night, when the outside temp has dropped and the electric
rate is lower, they make ice, lots of ice. The campus is
cooled during the day with this ice. They claim to save
lots of money.