Re: [Phys-l] cooling hints

On 8/24/2011 6:01 AM, Dr Holly Priestley wrote:
In regards to a/c cooling -- may have changed a bit but many, many years ago
when I was married to my son's father, he was an a/c repair person for part
of his working life. He would always tell me that and a/c can lower the
inside temp about 15 degrees and that is all. So, if it is 103 degrees out,
like we had this summer (NOT heat index, plain, ordinary pre-meteorologists
temperature), you will be lucky to have your house cool at 88 degrees. Of
course, a lot depends on insulation, sun through the windows, children/pets
running in and out, etc.
Holly Priestley

I tend to see a drop from OAT of 24 deg F here. Just as well when OATs go 108 plus.
But domestic air does not sense OAT (unlike bigger commercial installations.)
Even so, the process is not iterative but stabilizes when the inflow heating matches
the outflow heating at the condenser. A four ton installation is defeated by room
additions, no doubt.

Brian W