Re: [Phys-l] made-up evidence

Hey, guys and gals, let's stay with physics. And I'll fight anyone who wants to pin a political label on me (in a physics forum).
Regards,
Jack

On Sat, 20 Aug 2011, John Denker wrote:

On 08/20/2011 07:50 AM, John Mallinckrodt wrote:
JD's link to the second Daily Show segment is broken and it seems to
be Comedy Central's fault.

How very weird. It was definitely broken for a while:

lynx -source -head http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/wed-july-27-2011/gop---special-victims-unit
HTTP/1.0 302 Moved Temporarily
Server: Apache/2.2.18 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.18 OpenSSL/0.9.8r-fips PHP/5.3.6
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2011 15:24:36 GMT
Connection: close

===================

... but it is working again, at least for now:

lynx -source -head http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/wed-july-27-2011/gop---special-victims-unit
HTTP/1.0 200 OK
Server: Apache/2.2.18 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.18 OpenSSL/0.9.8r-fips PHP/5.3.6
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2011 15:28:45 GMT
Connection: close

Also, a memo from the keen-grasp-of-the-obvious department, clarifying a couple
of points that have heretofore been left unsaid. It's not wrong to say that
Pauline Kael was "quoted inaccurately" ... but there is more to it than that.
It's not just a slight inaccuracy. There is a larger point to be made about
the way this alleged quote was used to "prove" a point. Never mind the fact
that Nixon is not interchangeable with Reagan and other details. Even if the
words had been verbatim accurate, the quote would have been misattributed,
since Pauline Kael was never a reporter for /The New York Times/. My point
is, the "quote" could not possibly have supported the claims that were being
made.

-- A film critic is not the same as a political reporter or analyst. Snarky
comments that may have been made in jest by a famously snarky film critic, and
may have not been made at all, do not tell us anything about the political
reporting, analysis, or editorial opinion of a newspaper that she didn't
work for, let alone the press in general.
-- For that matter, /The New Yorker/ is not a newspaper. It is a more-or-less
weekly magazine. It is not associated with /The New York Times/.
-- Anybody who wants to hold up New York City as an example of liberal hegemony
should keep in mind that the last time NYC elected a Democratic mayor was in
1989. Go figure.
-- Even though NYC is one of the world's most cosmopolitan cities,
/The New Yorker/ has long been famous for teasing New Yorkers about their
literal and/or figurative insularity; witness the classic, iconic cover by
Saul Steiberg from Mar. 29, 1976:
http://www.abc.net.au/innovation/explainer/img/newyorker-1976.jpg
It's a joke. Get it?
-- Many of the world's wealthiest and/or most conservative people choose to live
in NYC. Wall Street is in NYC. Fox News is headquartered in NYC and most of
its shows are broadcast from its NYC studios.

When people resort to using made-up evidence, I tend to suspect they have a
shortage of actual factual evidence.