Re: [Phys-l] frizzi

On 2011, Aug 20, , at 14:17, LaMontagne, Bob wrote:

Yes - but where we are is big debt and a very bad recession (I won't use hyperbole and say the word depression) - the combination you passed over.

:-)

Bob at PC

Not very big debt by my measure. It's about equal to the GDP, and it include inter govt. debt (borrowing from SS, etc.)

The interest payment last year was about 15% of tax receipts.

Now I'll compare the Cleyet - Seese couple. Our total interest is ~ $1k on ~ $220k ~ 1/2%

But our total debt is > 2X our gross income. The US is half that. and Japan's is 2X the US's. Note: projections and last year's data. For detail see the Wiki.:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_public_debt#Measuring_debt_relative_to_gross_domestic_product_.28GDP.29

Note, as I writ earlier > 1/2 is to US citizens, so the poor are transferring their "wealth" to the rich via taxes to pay interest. My only objection to US debt.

An argument for which I've waited is we're passing on the debt to our children, well .. we are also passing on to them improved infrastructure and, what should be, a booming economy. Just as the fifties past on to us the highway system and subsidized education. I'm well aware of this. My only cost for my BA was the incidental fee ($57 / semester) my mother housed and fed me. My being a lab asst. paid the rest. The Brit. govt. paid for ALL my Ph.D. and I enjoyed traveling to an AAPT meeting in MI on the Ike. Hwy.

bc sees every day embedded in the sidewalk "WPA 1940" near his abode. That sidewalk is in better condition than more recent ones!