From: "Quist, Oren" <Oren.Quist@SDSTATE.EDU>
Date: Wed, Jul 6, 2011 3:10 pm
Subject: [Phys-l] Step down transformer trouble
To: "Forum for Physics Educators" <phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu>

On one occasion, in a previous house, I tried to have three different doorbell chimes in one system (upstairs, basement, backroom, etc.). It never worked as the transformer could not put out enough power to run them all. I did not "fry" anything, but it would not work. Suppose the system has a "short" of some kind (recent sheet rock screws ??). A short might damage the transformer.

Try disconnecting the bell, and then check the line continuity -- should be easy to do.