[Phys-l] Operational Definitions

Some subscribers to Phys-L might be interested in a discussion-list post " Operational Definitions" [Hake (2011)].

The abstract reads:

ABSTRACT: Alan Bender (2011), in a POD post "Open inquiry is bad? (in some intro tech courses)," wrote (paraphrasing) : "I wonder how the terms 'learning centered' and 'instruction centered' tend to be understood, particularly by those who hear them for the first times. . . . . What definitions for such phrases might promote more thought about paradigms/ideologies?"

In my opinion, "OPERATIONAL DEFINITIONS" might promote more thought about paradigms/ideologies and attendant ambiguous phrases such as "learning centered," "instruction centered," "active learning," "direct instruction," "inquiry," "open inquiry," "student centered," "learning centered," "discovery," etc., etc., etc.. . .

See e.g.: "Language Ambiguities in Education Research" [Hake (2008)] at <http://bit.ly/bHTebD> , and "Education Research Employing Operational Definitions Can Enhance the Teaching Art" [Hake (2010)] at <http://bit.ly/aGlkjm>. ****************************************

To access the complete 7 kB post please click on <http://bit.ly/l1ADtf>.
Honorary Member, Curmudgeon Lodge of Deventer, The Netherlands
President, PEdants for Definitive Academic References which Recognize the
Invention of the Internet (PEDARRII)
<rrhake@earthlink.net>
<http://www.physics.indiana.edu/~hake>
<http://www.physics.indiana.edu/~sdi>
<http://HakesEdStuff.blogspot.com>
<http://iub.academia.edu/RichardHake>

"When we say force is the cause of motion we talk metaphysics, and this definition, if we were content with it, would be absolutely sterile. For a definition to be of any use, it must teach us to *measure* force; moreover, that suffices; it is not at all necessary that it teach us what force is *in itself*, nor whether it is the cause or the effect of motion."
Henri Poincare (1905)

REFERENCES [URL's shortened by <http://bit.ly/> and accessed on 22 June 2011.]

Hake, R.R. 2011. " Operational Definitions," online on the OPEN! AERA-L archives at <http://bit.ly/l1ADtf>. Post of 22 Jun 2011 19:19:14-0700 to POD, AERA-L, and NetGold. The abstract and link to the complete 7 kB post are being transmitted to various discussion lists and are also on my blog "Hake'sEdStuff" at <http://bit.ly/mGOW4J > with a provision for comments.