From: "Dr. Keith S. Taber" <kst24@cam.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, Jul 6, 2011 10:37 am
Subject: [Phys-l] Step down transformer trouble
To: "Forum for Physics Educators" <phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu>

Just a thought, but is the 16V measured on open circuit, or when the
bell is connected up?

Keith

At 05:58 -0400 6/7/11, Paul Lulai wrote:
Hi.
We can't keep our doorbell stepdown transformer working. I thought
i would check this group for thoughts.
The transformer drops to 16v. That matches the input for our
doorbell. The transformer is connected to ground and both the black
and white house wires (as directed on installation instructions).
It is installed onto a standard junction box with (which has a cfl
attached).
I've changed transformers multiple times. I checked the doorbell.
I found no problem, but thought a $20 change of bells might so it,
so I changed it anyway (after the 2nd transformer).
Any thoughts?

Paul Lulai
Physics Teacher
St Anthony Village Senior High
3303 33rd Ave
St Anthony Village MN 55418

(w) 612-706-1146

Dr. Keith S. Taber

http://www.educ.cam.ac.uk/staff/taber.html
http://people.pwf.cam.ac.uk/kst24/

Author: Progressing Science Education - Constructing the Scientific
Research Programme into the Contingent Nature of Learning Science
(Springer: 2009)

University Senior Lecturer in Science Education

Science Education Centre
University of Cambridge Faculty of Education
184 Hills Road
Cambridge CB2 8PQ
United Kingdom

to join an electronic discussion list on
learning in science
please visit
http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/learning-science-concepts