Re: [Phys-l] slow news day?

On 2011, Jun 27, , at 15:16, brian whatcott wrote:

Bernard, you are being obtuse.
If I ask you how much gas my airplane consumes, when parked on the
ground, neglecting evaporation and thermal expansivity,
can you tell me the answer, to six decimal places?

Mmmm a JD question. [criticism]

If I share with you that the two fuel gauges on this aicraft each have
scale lengths of 2 inches or so, and can be assumed
to be carefully calibrated near the empty mark, so that they are
accurate to +_ 3%, [of full scale?] like most other analog pointer moving scale meters
are nearer full scale, could you reflect his experimental proviso into
your graphs?

Logger Pro does have the provision of graphing error bars, but that's it, i.e. no Chi-Square.

IIRC, Kaleidograph does -- after adding 3% error, the chi square is three orders greater, but still, of course, miniscule.

I've added 3% error bars to the graph (ordinate only, not putted).

I don't have enuff info. to other than use 3%, which is obviously wrong?

Brian W

bc has requested of Vernier to add a Chi-Square provision to its fitting sub-app.

p.s. Chi-Square goodness of fit requires at least one point beyond the # of degrees of freedom, so more data please.