From: phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu [phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu] On Behalf Of Anthony Lapinski [Anthony_Lapinski@pds.org]
Sent: Tuesday, May 10, 2011 8:36 PM
To: phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] Electronic Textbooks & MasteringPhysics

I, too, am considering an online textbook/tutorial instead of a paper one.
Better for the environment, less to carry, and cheaper. I really want it
only as a reference as I give my own class notes and math problems to the
students. So a book would only be needed for students who need to review
or want more to understand what I cover in class.

I teach in the high school, both regular and honors physics. So I am
looking for two levels of supplemental materials online. Currently I use
Hewitt (regular) and Cutnell/Johnson (honors).

Forum for Physics Educators <phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu> writes:
I have the possibility to switch to electronic textbooks and more online
assignments (Specifically the "Mastering" package from Pearson). I was
wondering what experience others have had with these.

I teach at a community college with a small enrollment in physics
(typically 6-12 in both calc-based and non-calc-based). The "Mastering"
package seems like a valuable system, especially for reading quizzes and
practice problems.

The electronic text I am less sure about. The electronic text is
considerably cheaper, but they only have access for 2 years, I believe.
Perhaps I am too old-school and prefer holding a book in my hands. Do
students learn better or worse from an electronic version? Obviously
they can only work where they have access to a computer, which could
occasionally be a problem. We do have 8 computers around the classroom,
so they could at least share copies during class if we need (or I can
project it onto a screen).

Anyway, what have you all learned when using such systems? any words of
wisdom if I try this?

Tim Folkerts