Re: [Phys-l] The Journal of Humanistic Mathematics #2

Some subscribers to Phys-L might be interested in discussion-list post "Re: The Journal of Humanistic Mathematics #2" [Hake (2011b)].

The abstract reads:

*************************************
ABSTRACT: In response to my post "Louis Paul Benezet and the 'Journal of Humanistic Mathematics' " [Hake (2011a)], Kirby Urner wrote:

"JHM has lots of interesting content. . . . To have everything hinge on any one figure, be that Piaget, Benezet, Escalante or anyone, seems a rather dim-witted approach to any narrative."

Kirby's unjustified (IMHO) barb may have been provoked by my failure to provide more information on JHM. In atonement I herewith give the URL's:

(a) <http://bit.ly/lo8U6L> for JHM's homepage where it's stated that JHM in an online-only, open-access, peer-reviewed journal at <http://scholarship.claremont.edu/jhm/>;

(b) <http://bit.ly/k75Lht> for the webinar discussing JHM and its community;

(c) <http://bit.ly/kgaF8m> for the first issue of JHM, which provides free downloads of the articles in that issue.

CORRECTION: The Benezet articles were published in the "Humanistic Mathematics Newsletter" (HMN), not JHM as stated in Hake (2011). HMN was evidently a precursor to both the new "Journal of Humanistic Mathematics" (JHM), and *its* precursor the "Humanistic Mathematics Network Journal" (HMNJ).
***********************************

To access the complete 11 kB post please click on <http://bit.ly/kETBhc>.

Honorary Member, Curmudgeon Lodge of Deventer, The Netherlands
President, PEdants for Definitive Academic References which Recognize the
Invention of the Internet (PEDARRII)
<rrhake@earthlink.net>
<http://www.physics.indiana.edu/~hake>
<http://www.physics.indiana.edu/~sdi>
<http://HakesEdStuff.blogspot.com>
<http://iub.academia.edu/RichardHake>

"Mathematics is the gate and key of the sciences. . . .Neglect of mathematics works injury to all knowledge, since he who is ignorant of it cannot know the other sciences or the things of this world. And what is worse, men who are thus ignorant are unable to perceive their own ignorance and so do not seek a remedy."
Roger Bacon (Opus Majus, bk. 1, ch. 4) <http://bit.ly/dzjbWv>

REFERENCES [All URL's shortened by <http://bit.ly/> and accessed on 8 May 2011.]
Benezet, L.P. (1935, 1936). "The Teaching of Arithmetic I, II, III: The Story of an Experiment." Journal of the National Education Association 24(8): 241-244 (1935); 24(9): 301-303 (1935); 25(1): 7-8 (1936). The articles (a) were reprinted in the HUMANISTIC MATHEMATICS NEWSLETTER 6: 2-14 (May 1991); (b) are on the web along with other Benezetia at the Benezet Centre <http://bit.ly/926tiM>.

Hake, R.R. 2011a. "Louis Paul Benezet and the 'Journal of Humanistic Mathematics' " online on the OPEN! AERA-L archives at <http://bit.ly/iZbn2b>. Post of 5 May 2011 15:03:46 -0700 to AERA-L, NaturalMath, and Net-Gold. The abstract and link to the complete post were transmitted to various discussion lists and are also on my blog "Hake'sEdStuff" at <http://bit.ly/khQHD5>.

Hake, R.R. 2011b. "Re: The Journal of Humanistic Mathematics #2," online on the OPEN! AERA-L archives at <http://bit.ly/kETBhc>. Post of 8 May 2011 12:24:56-0700 to AERA-L and Net-Gold. The abstract and link to the complete post were transmitted to various discussion lists and are also on my blog "Hake'sEdStuff" at <http://bit.ly/lucs9q> with a provision for comments.