[Phys-l] Off -topic RE: How did Bill Gates get to decide what's good for our children?

I hesitate to respond, this being more political than physics, never the less

One answer to the question of "when did we vote . . ."

Is that we voted when we failed to vote for people who don't want to hand of education to those interests; we failed to vote for people who might raise the revenue to support education by public entities, i.e. raising taxes, etc. etc.

Personally I share much of your concern, but apparently a lot of the electorate does not.

Diane Ravich, Ed Week - [Concerning] the agreement between the Gates
Foundation and the Pearson Foundation to write the nation's curriculum.
When did we vote to hand over American education to them? Why would we
outsource the nation's curriculum to a for-profit publishing and test-
making corporation based in London? Does Bill Gates get to write the
national curriculum because he is the richest man in America? We know
that his foundation is investing heavily in promoting the Common Core
standards. Now his foundation will write a K-12 curriculum that will
promote online learning and video gaming. That's good for the tech
sector, but is it good for our nation's schools?