Re: [Phys-l] Writing a review or lab report

Yes, I was part of Kummer's et al. and probably still have FDC's paper in a box somewhere.

At 1:02 PM -0500 5/2/11, David Marx wrote:

On 2 May 2011 at 12:39, chuck britton wrote:

> During the '70's, a condensed matter theorist by the name of
> Hetherington submitted a paper to PhysRev which he had written in the
> first person plural. It was kicked back by the referees as
> inappropriate - since he was the sole author. Rather than rewriting
> the paper - he added a second author F. D. C. Wilard, who was in fact
> his cat Felis Domesticus Cattus Willard.

For those interested....

Two-, Three-, and Four-Atom Exchange Effects in bcc 3He

J. H. Hetherington and F. D. C. Willard
Physics Department, Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan 48824

Received 22 September 1975; published in the issue dated 24 November 1975

We have made mean-field calculations with a Hamiltonian obtained from two-, three-, and four-atom exchange in bcc solid 3He. We are able to fit the high-temperature experiments as well as the phase diagram of Kummer et al. at low temperatures. We find two kinds of antiferromagnetic phases as suggested by Kummer's experiments.